What you'll find here

This blog shares my life with you. Not the nappy changes or holidays or silly pictures of my cat part, but the diet and weightloss journey part. You will no longer find any specific diet on here, but rather the JANIE diet (as a very wise blogger suggested)
It's about what works for me and I really do hope you find lots of inspiration here and lots of super yummy food. If you still want the Dukan versions of stuff, please comment at the end of a given post and I'll be MORE than happy to give you my Dukan take on any of my recipes.

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Thai Green Curry

Hi guys

I hope you have all been very well.  I'm still stuck in my rut, all though it looks like I might be moving out of it, I've finally, after 2 weeks at the SAME weight, lost 400g in the past 2 days.

If I knew this 3 months ago, that I'd be in this situation right now, I'd have been very hard to motivate!  But, as always, I'm taking it one day at  time and ALWAYS looking on  the bright side!

Today I am wearing a pair of pants that I haven't worn in about 3 years, it's still an enormous pair of pants though, a size 16 (that would be around a size 12 in the USA from what Google tells me), but that's beside the point, the point is they FIT ME NOW! And soon they'll be too big for me!

Going back to dress sizes - I was looking around on the Internet the other day, I'm intrigued by the concept of the Size Zero dress...
When I'm at my thin weight ( which I've basically only been for 3 months of my entire life about 6 years ago) I wore a size 35 jeans.  My hip measurement was 92 cm.  A size 35 is equal to a UK size 11, as I understand, which should be about a size 7 US.
Now, I  was watching Fashion TV the other night (I like watching skinny people - is this weird?) and they profiled some models and showed their measurements, their hip measurements are 88-90 cm as an average, theoretically making them a size 6, or conservatively a size 5.
So can any one please explain to me how on earth there are so many woman in the USA that wear size zero's and two's?  How can so many women be 5 dress sizes smaller than the average catwalk model?  Surely I must be understanding the USA sizing wrong?

I can't help but chuckle about this, I don't think my decomposing skeleton 10 years after I've died will fit into a size zero :)

Enough about that, lets talk food.
Last night I made the most heavenly Thai Green chicken curry - Dukanised of course and it was so gorgeous, I can't wait to have it again.  I found the recipe on Google at http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaicurrypasterecipes/r/greencurrypaste.htm
but adjusted it a little bit so it's Dukan friendly.

Thai Green Curry Paste

  • 1 stalk lemon grass
  • 1-3 green chillies
  • 1 shallot
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic
  • 1 thumb sized piece of ginger
  • 1/2 cup of coriander leaves
  • 1/2 cup of basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon of coriander powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
  • 3 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 2 tablespoons of lime juice
  • sweetener to equal 1 teaspoon of sugar
  • 4 tablespoons of fat free yogurt
Put all these ingredients into a food processor and blend till you have a paste.  I find that this is enough for 8 cubed chicken breast (normal size ones), so I only used half and put the rest in the fridge for the weekend.

I cut the chicken into cubes and mixed it with the paste and let it sit for about 2 hours, I then put it in a non-stick pan and cooked it gently. Then I added 2 big hand fulls of mange tout - I love these in Thai curries!

Once everything is cooked, you need to take it off the heat and let is sit for 10 minutes.  Now you add a cup (or more, depending on how you like it) of fat free yogurt.  Remember, you can't still be cooking it when you add the yogurt, it will curdle!

Now for the piece de resistance - we can't have coconut cream on this diet, yet Thai curries are so dependent on that lovely sweet fragrance that coconut milk lends to it.  My solution - coconut essence at the end after the yogurt was added - the result is simply PHENOMENAL!

Of course you can use any meat/fish that you like and for PP days you can just omit the mange tout.

I hope you enjoy this!

Have a great day and God bless

Janie B

13 comments:

  1. Women who wear a size 0 are usually petite, i.e. shorter than the average model. It's hard to be 5'10" and tiny. A coworker who wears a 0 is 5'1". Also, I think they want models to be a size 6 so that they all fit into the same clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense, but I really think there must be a larger discrepancy between the UK and US sizes than what I find on Google :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're seeing some movement on the scale! As for the size thing...It's all smoke and mirrors Janie. Manufacture's know that women buy more than men. They also know that women will buy MORE if the experience is positive...ie: fitting in a smaller size. The more the industry skews the size/number issue the more abstract sizing up a garment becomes. Iconic beauty Marylin Monroe, although not a runway model was probably a size 12-14 US. If you want a good sense of your true size/measurements go to a fabric store and look at the sizing on patterns. Those of us who still sew (anyone besides me?) know that a zero would be an absurdly small size for an adult female.
    On a different track altogether, I think the whole notion of ZERO as a size is specious. There are young girls all over the US and likely abroad, who aspire to be ~zero~ or nothing...granted that's a broad brush, but with so many young women & girls obese/dysmorphic/anorexic etc. the more insane the whole thing is. In a sane world being a healthy fit size would dominate the media, unfortunately that's far from true. Good luck at any size :)
    *anna
    oceannah.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I aslo sew, that is probably why I'm so suspicious of this size :)
      I guess I'll just have to go have a holiday in the States once I'm thin to see what size I'll be there, just out of curiosity!

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry I HAVE to say that a size 12 was what a size 6 is today. Her measurements were 38-24-38, if I remember correctly.

      Delete
    3. Interesting - 38 inches at the hips is a size 14 here in South Africa!

      Delete
  4. K wait... size 12 in US sizes isn't big at all. That's tiny! I started off as a size 24 US and am now down to a size 4-6 :)

    In have the same issue with size 0s :P

    You can do it! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen your photo's, you are TINY!! Thanks so much for your awesome blog, you guys are the best!

      Delete
  5. keep at it Janie. We all understanding the frustrations of the scales see-sawing but as much as your blog is motivating us, im sure its doing the same for you.
    As for the sizing, I cannot offer any comment there. Im also in SA. Try not to think too much about this sizes, just aim to get the numbers on the scale down and feel comfortable.
    Also wanted to let you know that I found some Jell-O sugar & fat free jelly and instant pudding at Pick n Pay, perfect for when you need something sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it's rediculous to think about sizes, a while ago I saw a nice cardigan in a dodgy shop and had to buy a 4XL to fit me! (I'm fat, but not 4XL fat!) At the end of the day it's about what fits well:)
    About those pudings, I discovered them early on in my diet already, the rock my world!! I'm pretty sure Dukan will frown upon them, but hey, it beats a bowl of proper chocolate mousse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thai Food is one of my favorites since it is so flavorful and wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this with us; you obviously know your stuff! Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete