What you'll find here

This blog shares my life with you. Not the nappy changes or holidays or silly pictures of my cat part, but the diet and weightloss journey part. You will no longer find any specific diet on here, but rather the JANIE diet (as a very wise blogger suggested)
It's about what works for me and I really do hope you find lots of inspiration here and lots of super yummy food. If you still want the Dukan versions of stuff, please comment at the end of a given post and I'll be MORE than happy to give you my Dukan take on any of my recipes.

Thursday 15 March 2012

Before and Afters

Hi Guys


Ah, got ya there, sorry, no photo's.  I just called my blog that since the idea of before and afters have been plaguing me somewhat lately.

My friend posted hers on facebook a while ago, the same one I wrote about a while back that had the really cool interview about her weight loss (check Feb 22nd, Long time no see), and she had the courage to post hers after she'd lost a whole lot of weight.  Currently, I'm so embarrassed of my self-inflicted state, that I don't know if I'll ever have the courage to post my fat pictures!

I'm sure I will though, but I definitely won't do so before I've lost all my weight, that's for sure!!

Yesterday, I felt like having some creamed spinach and sweet pumpkin, just like one of my favourite steakhouses serve with their big fat steaks, chips and onion rings.  Of course in my version there are no chips and no onion rings.

Creamed Spinach
  • 1 packet of spinach
  • 1 cup of skim milk
  • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch ( 1tablespoon per person per day as tolerated food)
  • salt and pepper
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 1/4 of a packet of Woolworths fat free danish feta
Cook the spinach, drain well and chop roughly.  In a saucepan, bring the milk to the boil and add a paste made from a little milk and the corn starch to the boiling milk while stirring continuously.  You will end up with a very thick white sauce.  Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.  Take it easy on the salt though, since the feta is very salty and seasons it too.

Mix the sauce and the spinach and stir in the feta - ENJOY!!

For the sweet pumpkin you don't need a recipe - just boil some cubed butternut squash ( I despise most forms of pumpkin, except these) in some lightly salted water until fork tender.  Sprinkle on some cinnamon (about 1/2 teaspoon) and sweeten with a few drops of artificial sweetener.  I know this sounds simple, but trust me, it's brilliant!!

I hope you enjoy this!

Have a fabulous day and God bless
Janie B
 

8 comments:

  1. janie!!! post the fat pictures! I destroyed most of mine, but i had to post it. to remind myself that i will NEVER do that to my body again.
    we are gonna there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about posting the pics! I've only just posted some pics and wish I had done it before. Everyone else is so supportive and can help put things in perspective! We ALWAYS think we look worse than we actually do. I wish I had pics all through my weight loss, its a great motivator.... I dont have one of me at my heaviest, never thought I would say it, but now I wish I did. Congrats on your loss so far! Fantastic. Sonia xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys, I really can't post pics now, I can't even stand to look at them at this point. There are only one or two, by far the most shocking one was at my friend's birtday party in December! Sonia, I know you said we think we look worse that what we actually do, I think the exact opposite applies to me, I was so shocked when I saw those photo's - I never really thought of myself as fat!!!
    I guess the fact that I gained 47kg should have been a big clue hey?
    Anyway, I will post them once I've lost my weight - THIS I PROMISE!!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel! Honestly. But you have to be ready to do it.... I never thought I was as big as I was, probably because I never looked in a mirror and avoided camera's like the plague! LOL. The "fat" pic I posted I wasnt even at my heaviest, I look awful, like someone had inflated a tyre around my neck.... Really that dreadful.... Loving your posts xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just found your blog...another fellow South African but alas I don't live there so I don't have the luxury of all the fabulous food products.
    I saw some old pictures of myself the other day and could have wept at how much thinner I was. The irony is that when they were taken I thought I was fat and unworthy! I'm 4 weeks into this diet and seeing and feeling the difference.
    Your recipes and posts are wonderful so keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only too happy to be of assistance! I must say, we do have a wealth of goodies in South Africa that really make dieting easier, my biggest addiction at the moment is Woolies Beef Snapstix - they're ultra lean, they are like crack to me, I said to my cousin the other day, I don't think any chocolate has ever given me the amount of satisfaction that these snapsticks have given me!
    Sonia - I just LOVE those pictures you post, you're so smart!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janie I TOTALLY understand how you feel about not wanting to post your 'big pics'. right now you are not ready but it wont be long before you are going to post them just to show other that it can be done and what you have achieved. Photos are an amazing motivator, dont know if you have looked at Dukan Dietress blog yet?
    Gotta tell you about the cream spinach that I make. Cook spinach in bag in microwave (according to instructions). Take out of bag and rough chop and put in low fat feta. When you re-heat mixture the feta melts and make it creamier. You can also add FF smooth cottage cheese if you want more sauce. I also fry onions and mushrooms in pan (spray with spray and cook) and add to spinach mixture - yum yum! that coming from someone who is not crazy about veggies. Spinach/feta mix also great to freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only found my fat-pics when I lost over 100 lbs. I was so surprised, I never felt like I was that heavy. I posted before and after pics and the support I have been getting is incredible. The most common response I get from any of my friends is that they really had no idea I was that big either. You aren't your fat-pics. You are your new ones ;)

    I really look back at those pics and feel so overwhelmed and proud. You will get there :)

    ReplyDelete