What you'll find here

This blog shares my life with you. Not the nappy changes or holidays or silly pictures of my cat part, but the diet and weightloss journey part. You will no longer find any specific diet on here, but rather the JANIE diet (as a very wise blogger suggested)
It's about what works for me and I really do hope you find lots of inspiration here and lots of super yummy food. If you still want the Dukan versions of stuff, please comment at the end of a given post and I'll be MORE than happy to give you my Dukan take on any of my recipes.

Sunday 1 April 2012

Barbecue chicken

Hi Guys

I've started to lose weight again - man, it feels so good!!

A lot of you have inspired me to also make a list of mini goals on my blog, like a check list I can tick as time goes on.  You will see it to the right of my posts.  Yes, I know it looks like I'm having a nationality identity crisis, but if I use the different units of measurement, it makes it more interesting than just goals of 5kg increments, and between pounds, kilogrammes and stones, there are about 4 increments in a 10kg space!  It certainly impressed me :)
I've decided not to dwell on what I've achieved, but rather on what is yet to come, you'll see I'm super close to my first goal!

I think it is very important to find as many ways as possible to motivate yourself, even if it seems a bit silly, I know I certainly need a lot of motivation some days! 
Currently I'm working a weekend of nights, and on Friday evening before work, I found a uniform in my closet that I haven't worn in over 3 years 'cuz I was too fat... I tried it on, since I couldn't remember how much I last weighed when I fit into it, and to my surprise, it fit!  Still a little tight around the butt area, but totally wearable - I went to work on SUCH a high!

You know how certain smells get you all salivating and ready so succumb to the deliciousness that gave life to that aroma?  On Wednesday evening I got home and someone in our apartment building was having a barbecue - the entire parking area smelled of barbecue chicken and lamb chops.  I nearly couldn't swallow my saliva fast enough - and to boot, had a very busy day and by 6pm still hadn't eaten ANYTHING - very vulnerable!  Fortunately, my awesome husband stepped in and saved me from a sure cheat and got us some gorgeous grilled fish from a local fish and chips shop.

But still, all I could think about was that meat, lying there, grilling, dripping juices on those red hot coals, filling the air with their intoxicating aroma...(I was really into this - can you tell?)

So the next day I prepared to have our own BBQ - Dukan style!  I took lamb chops from freezer and defrosted those (don't worry, they were nice and lean) and went and bought some skinless fatless chicken thighs and drumsticks.

Enter Mom's portugese-esque BBQ chicken marinade - I've had to severely Dukanise it, but I'm glad to report it survived the surgery and still tastes AMAZING.
This time I thought I'd keep the name of the recipe in Afrikaans, my home language, just for fun!

Ma se Braaihoendersous

  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons of paprika (I used 1 smoked and 2 regular)
  • 3 teaspoons of mustard powder
  • 3 tablespoons of chili sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 onion
  • 2 teaspoons of salt
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • some freshly ground black pepper
Chuck it all into the bowl of your food processor and blend till smooth.  Put your chicken in a zip lock bag and cover with the marinade, squeeze out most of the air before sealing it and marinade the chicken overnight in the fridge.

This hits the coals the next day and just a small word of warning - you may need an old broom stick to keep your neighbours at bay :)

I hope you LOVE this!

Happy barbecuing and God Bless!
Janie B

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on continuing to lose weight! I think it is good you put your goals up there. It is a bit frustrating when you get really close but not totally there, but it can make you work that much more! Congratulations again on how well you are doing!!!
    Fabiana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fabiana! We'll all just keep on keepin' on!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! Congrats on the weight loss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll join you in the wonderful feeling of losing again. It seems I'm a habitual plateau-er. What a great feeling to fit in your former clothing!! Chicken sounds dee-lish too.
    *anna-oceannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, pleateau seems to be my middle name, but I know it has to come of SOMETIME!

      Delete
  5. I'm going to tell you, seriously, the mini goals help.

    I never realized consciously that the mini goals were what was helping me with my weight loss, but they were there and I had rewards set up for every major mini goal I hit (25 lbs, 50 lbs, 75 lbs and then eventually 100 lbs.)

    It makes a huge difference!

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i want bbq now!! congrats on weight loss too!

    ReplyDelete