What you'll find here

This blog shares my life with you. Not the nappy changes or holidays or silly pictures of my cat part, but the diet and weightloss journey part. You will no longer find any specific diet on here, but rather the JANIE diet (as a very wise blogger suggested)
It's about what works for me and I really do hope you find lots of inspiration here and lots of super yummy food. If you still want the Dukan versions of stuff, please comment at the end of a given post and I'll be MORE than happy to give you my Dukan take on any of my recipes.

Sunday 11 March 2012

Sunday chicken

Hi All

Yesterday while stalking the supermarket isles for goodies that might be permitted on this diet, I found 4 awesome new treasures - Fat Free Miracle whip (very low carb too), Light Wellington's Chutney, Allgold Light Ketchup and my personal favourite, Darling Dairy Fat Free Honey Yogurt, man, that stuff's good!

Those of you who grew up in South African homes will be all too familiar with that very famous Huisgenoot Wenresepte chicken with the sauce made from chutney, mayo and brown onion soup power - I myself have been incapacitated by this chicken dish on many a Sunday afternoon. 

Naturally when I saw the above mentioned goodies, my mind went to one place and one place only - Sunday Chicken Heaven, all Dukan friendly of course.

I know chutney is off limits on Dukan, but this Wellington Light Chutney only has 7 grams of carbs per 100g, which still falls into the nothing above 10g/100g rule.
Naturally the onion soup powder is off limits, that stuff's mostly made up of starch anyway, BUT I did find these awesome little onion stock cubes, they pack a lot of flavour and also come in a garlic variety.


Sunday Chicken Heaven
  • 8 drumsticks and 8 thighs - skin and visible fat removed naturally!
  • 1/4 cup of Sugar free chutney
  • 1/4 cup of light ketchup
  • 1/4cup of fat free Miracle Whip
  • 1 cube of onion stock
  • 4 onions
Place the chicken along with the onions, which have been quartered in an oven-proof dish.  Mix the sauce and cover all the chicken and onions in it, mixing well once it's poured on.

Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 90 minutes.  Do not cover as it will draw a lot of moisture and you'll have a runny dish.  If you do end up having a runny dish, simply ladle the excess liquid into a small saucepan and reduce to a nice thick sauce on the stove top and pour over the chicken 10 minutes before removing from the oven.

Of course, once we reach consolidation phase, this will be eaten with some yummy Basmati rice... Damn, I miss Basmati rice...

I hope you have a glorious Sunday and a great week ahead!

God Bless
Janie B

PS -  I noticed that the blog posts with food in their names get read a lot more, maybe you guys are under the impression that the ones without food in the title are not about food - this is not so, every blog post one here WILL have a recipe, this is my solemn vow to you, my faithful readers (except of course for the obligatory Kony 2012 post:))


3 comments:

  1. Hi Janie... found your blog comment at Dukan Dietress' blog and thought I'd pop in! Wow... this recipe sounds FABULOUS!
    I look forward to reading more of your posts and subscribing by email!
    Sandi
    http://flamidwyfe.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really helps when you can find Dukan-friendly treats you weren't expecting since they aren't in the book, to make your journey through Dukan more flavourful.

    Thanks for finding my blog, I look forward to reading about your weight loss journey, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for visiting here, I really appreciate it. Food has always been such a big part of my life, both cooking and eating, and for that to stop just beacause of a diet, would be heading for failure from the word go.

    It's so great to have found this whole community of people online who share a goal and who aim to make it easier for each other!

    ReplyDelete