What you'll find here

This blog shares my life with you. Not the nappy changes or holidays or silly pictures of my cat part, but the diet and weightloss journey part. You will no longer find any specific diet on here, but rather the JANIE diet (as a very wise blogger suggested)
It's about what works for me and I really do hope you find lots of inspiration here and lots of super yummy food. If you still want the Dukan versions of stuff, please comment at the end of a given post and I'll be MORE than happy to give you my Dukan take on any of my recipes.

Tuesday 13 March 2012

Tomato "chutney/jam"

Hi all

I've been on this diet for 64 days now, wow, it sounds very short if I put it like that!

Yesterday I broke the 100kg barrier, yes, I am down to double digits, I think this was probably my biggest goal to date and it feels so good to have broken it!

A week ago I went to a local fresh goods market.  They had a special - 3 X 500g packets of mini Rosa tomatoes for R10 ($1.30), I bought 3 packets thinking that I would quickly go through them, alas, a week later I still had two packets left, and they were starting to become less firm and pleasing to eat out the packet.

So naturally I decided to turn them into something delicious, so delicious, you won't even believe it's good for you!


Slow tomato sauce


  • 500g baby Rosa tomatoes
  • 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • small hand full of thyme sprigs
  • 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a few drops of liquid artificial sweetner to taste
Heat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius and spray an oven proof dish with non-stick spray.  Put the tomatoes, garlic and thyme into the dish and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes start bursting at the seams.

Brown the onion in a heavy casserole, you can use a little oil, but if you don't want to, it's not the end of the world if the onions aren't brown, they'll cook soft.

Now you can add the tomatoes from the oven (the reason for keeping the thyme spigs whole is so you can fish them out easily once you're done) and add the can of tomatoes.  At this point you need to put a lid on and turn the heat right down, it needs to cook for about an hour, undisturbed at a low heat.  You can give it a gentle stir every 15 minutes or so to make sure it doesn't burn.

When the hour is over, take the lid off and turn the heat up a little and continue cooking while stirring regularly now.  At this point season with salt and pepper and stir in the cumin.  What you want is for this mixture to reduce into a nice thick, chunky jam/chutney-like consistency.  Once it's done cooking, you can add a few drops of liquid sweetner to taste.

We used it as a sauce for our steak that evening, absolutely delicious, but I can think of loads of other ways to use it!
Have fun with it!!

Good night and God bless
Janie B










9 comments:

  1. Hi janie, I've made a blog just to comment on this... Here is the thing I am SO proud of you for going back to 2 digits :) I was 125 when i first started my journey and now im 76,8. According to my dukan "true weight" i should be 72,9. so im close..but im trying to go to 68, we'll see how it goes. im 23 years old and this is the least i've weighted since i was 12. I dont wanna bore you with this, if you wanna talk more we can certainly do that, i just wanted to share a bit and to say that when i broke the 3 digits barrier, i felt like i could be in control of my life my again, like everything was possible and i could be the best me.
    well, be strong and dont give up
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on hitting that milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww you guys!! Thanks for the cheer!! Hanna, how tall are you? It sounds like you are now where I long to be, my Dukan weight is 75kg, but I'd like to weigh 68kg, not because I want to be extreme, but because I've been there and I look and feel good there! I checked out your blog, it's really cool, and I just know those last few kilo's are going to come flying off you!

    This to me is the WHOLE point of blogging, to keep each other motivated and to help each other through diet hardship!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. firstly, thank you for you blog and congrats on the double figures. I started my journey clocking in at 100kg at the beginning of this year. had a bit of a glitch but went back at today Im at 93.5. like you my weight and diet history is very similar. My Dukan weight is also 75kg so we have a whole lot in common, even the paddle boarding. I had a giggle about that as the first thing that pop into my head was - ' what would I wear'.
    Keep at it and with the blog, vasbyt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tracy, well done for that weight loss!! As for the paddle boarding, I have this fantasy about wearing a little red brazillian bikini bottom and a sexy Roxy rash vest, it looks hot AND I get to hide some of the stretch marks and stuff I'll probably have :)
    You ROCK!! keep checking in and please keep me updated!!Sterkte vir jou ook!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey janie, im 1,72... I am brazilian and i NEVER wore a bikini lol how sad is that?!
      one day ;)

      Delete
    2. Hanna, no not sad at all but you will be very soon.
      Janie B, right now the best I would do is tight boardshorts and a long t-shirt!
      scales are down and then up but reading these blogs helps so much. ladies, by the end of the year we will be in the bikinis! (for those in southern hemisphere)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracy, I'm only getting my SUP as a reward when I've lost all my weight, at this point, if I had to go to the beach, say at gun point, I'd probably go in a tracksuit :)

    ReplyDelete