What you'll find here

This blog shares my life with you. Not the nappy changes or holidays or silly pictures of my cat part, but the diet and weightloss journey part. You will no longer find any specific diet on here, but rather the JANIE diet (as a very wise blogger suggested)
It's about what works for me and I really do hope you find lots of inspiration here and lots of super yummy food. If you still want the Dukan versions of stuff, please comment at the end of a given post and I'll be MORE than happy to give you my Dukan take on any of my recipes.

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Fish cakes from heaven...

Hi Guys

So today is day 9 of attack phase, as you've read, yesterday was not a good day, however did manage without cheating.

Today went a lot smoother, no weird cravings or having to find inspiration.  No, inspiration came from the bathroom scale this morning, another 500g down!  It is so easy to become discouraged after a couple of days of not loosing any.

Anyway, so this afternoon, due to my own assumptions (assumption = ASS of U and ME) I missed a meeting and was punished by means of the worst traffic ever on my way home.  That and it's currently 40 degrees Celsius outside.
So sitting in the scorching heat in my car in traffic from hell, inspiration struck - I was going to make plain old fish cakes for supper tonight, but the fish cake gods spoke to me :)

Here is the recipe for the BEST fishcakes I have ever made in my life, completely self-invented, SERIOUSLY impressed with myself :)


Thai-style Fish Cakes


  •   400g baked hake, cooled and flaked
  • 250g hot smoked salmon, flaked(check ingredients for no sugar or flavouring added!)
  • 1/2 small onion
  • 3cm fresh ginger, finely grated
  • 4 cloves of garlic, finely grated
  • a generous handful of chopped parsley
  • a generous handful of chopped coriander (or cilantro for our American friends)
  • a few drops of sesame oil ( not even a teaspoon full)
  • juice of one lemon and 1/2 of the lemon's zest, finely grated
  • a few drops of liquid artificial sweetener to taste
  • 1-2 finely chopped red chili, depending on how hot you like it
  • 2 eggs


Mix everything except for the sweetener together, taste it and add some salt if you want (keeping in mind that the salmon is quite salty and should season the mixture well).  At this point you can add a few drops of artificial sweetener, just to balance the flavours, remember, Asian food is about a balance of flavours - sweet and salty and sour.

Pat the mixture into fish cakes of whatever size takes your fancy, I got about 12 5cm cakes out of this batch, which should serve about 4.

I tried crumbing them with the daily oat bran allowance, but the ones without the oat bran coating browned way better.

Just a tip though, leave to brown well on the first side before flipping them, this helps to keep them intact.

I really hope you enjoy these fish cakes as much as we did tonight!

Good night and God bless,
JanieB

4 comments:

  1. I was grilling fish tonight rather than baking it in the oven with spices and lemon juice (sick of that one) and I thought fishcakes! Are they allowed and if so how would one make them? Googled it and up popped your blog post. Thanks for the recipe. So going to try it next time I do fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, so glad you found my recipe, I really hope you liked it!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. I'm not a lover of fish and could not stomach the baked fish in lemon. Had to ditch it for some cold meats. So I thought what can I do with the fish I've coooked. I'll give this a go..fingers crossed as just meat will get boring I think

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making this now.(minus the salmon)..i'll let you know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete