What you'll find here

This blog shares my life with you. Not the nappy changes or holidays or silly pictures of my cat part, but the diet and weightloss journey part. You will no longer find any specific diet on here, but rather the JANIE diet (as a very wise blogger suggested)
It's about what works for me and I really do hope you find lots of inspiration here and lots of super yummy food. If you still want the Dukan versions of stuff, please comment at the end of a given post and I'll be MORE than happy to give you my Dukan take on any of my recipes.

Friday 27 April 2012

Chicken curry

Hi guys

 
I've not been writing lately, I apologise for that, the last few weeks have been very rough.  I would LOVE to share with you what is going on, but I'm afraid I might jeopardise a big project!

 
I've also been very bad lately and I've gained 3.8 kg, I can't tell you how angry I am at myself for doing this, it's like I can't stop myself!  But today I'm back on track again :)

 
BUT, tomorrow my sister-in-law and my cousin and myself are going to the SA Cheese festival, I'm super excited about that, I never miss a year!  So obviously tomorrow is a TOTAL write off, but I've made my peace with this day a long time ago already.

 
It's a strange thing about cheating on a diet, isn't it?  I always feel like just giving up completely after just a minor transgression.  It's always all or nothing with me, that's a really bad attitude to have on a diet.  I think the ideal way to go about it is to accept what you've done and carry on with eating well for the rest of the day, ad not like me - just blow the lid off and have a pig-out day (okay, well, more like a pig out 2 weeks).

 
Anyway, moving right along:) As always, I have a delicious recipe for you to try out and tell me what you think.  This one is a chicken curry by one of my favourite South African chefs, Cas Abrahams.
Funny story - I actually ate this particular curry for the first time at the above mentioned SA Cheese Festival in 2008 and fell so deeply in love that I found her email address on the Internet and asked for the recipe - and she obliged!
I've had to dukanise it a little, but as usual, most curries are so easily Dukanised, you just have to be a little creative!

 


 

Creamy Chicken Curry

  • 5 filleted chicken breasts, cut into strips
  • 5 ml curry spice mix
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • salt to taste
  • 15ml oil
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • 10ml cumin seeds
  • 10ml fennel seeds
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 can whole tomatoes
  • 10ml curry spice mix
  • 5ml tumeric
  • 10ml garlic and ginger paste
  • salt to taste
  • 1 cup of fat free yogurt
  • ½ bunch fresh coriander, chopped

Mix together masala, cornstarch and salt. Coat the chicken with this mixture, shaking off any excess cornstarch mixture.
Heat the oil in a saucepan and lightly fry the chicken breasts on both sides.
Remove the chicken and set aside.
Add the onions, cumin, fennel and bay leaf and sauté until the onion is soft and transparent.
Add the tomatoes and the juice as well as the tumeric, masala and garlic and ginger paste.
Cook until a thick sauce is formed. Return the chicken to the saucepan and simmer until the chicken is cooked, about 5 minutes.
Pour over the yogurt and garnish with coriander leaves.
This is surely my favourite curry in the whole wide world, and it would most definitely make it onto my death row meal list!  I hope you'll love it as much as I do.
 
Have a wonderful weekend and God bless
Janie B

 

 

6 comments:

  1. The cheese festival doesn't have to be a write off... you can make it a PP day, enjoy the cheese (with just more fat than you should) and should actually LOSE weight. Cheese is yummy on it's own, you don't need to add those carbs from breads, etc to make it yummy! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely add it to the list. Do you add the yoghurt once you've taken the pan off the hob? I've tried a couple of times in the past to heat it all up together but the yoghurt always seems to curdle.
    By the way, congrats on the brilliant progress so far - it's still early days for me (almost 3 weeks in!) and it's fab to see how well the plan works. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janie, hope you are well. I have nominated your blog for the Liebster award, please stop by http://soniasdukandiet.wordpress.com/ to collect your award. Sonia xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hit comprehend out of the most construction topics.read full report

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure you have a great fan following out there.dieting while breastfeeding

    ReplyDelete