What you'll find here

This blog shares my life with you. Not the nappy changes or holidays or silly pictures of my cat part, but the diet and weightloss journey part. You will no longer find any specific diet on here, but rather the JANIE diet (as a very wise blogger suggested)
It's about what works for me and I really do hope you find lots of inspiration here and lots of super yummy food. If you still want the Dukan versions of stuff, please comment at the end of a given post and I'll be MORE than happy to give you my Dukan take on any of my recipes.

Saturday 14 April 2012

Thai red curry

Hi guys


I have not been writing so frequently as of late, but my job has been taking the life out of me lately.  I'm sure it's just a phase though, I'll get over it :)

Monday's bliss from my weekend weight loss was rapidly obliterated on Tuesday morning, as I expected, I weighed 2 kg more!  Fortunately I'm back to my Monday weight now and things are going full speed ahead as always.

Tomorrow I have to go jeans shopping, I'm looking for a fairly cheap pair that I hopefully won't be fitting into for too long.  You see, I'm sort of in between ex-fatpants at the moment, currently I have only one pair that fit me properly and it's zipper broke today, it's also a cheap pair, so I'm not even going to bother to have it fixed.

Do you also have fantasies about what you're going to buy when you're thin?  I want to get a pair of 7 for All Mankind jeans, I just think they are the most gorgeous thing a woman can wear and I can't wait to get a pair!

The weather is really taking a turn here currently and it really feels like Winter is descending it's icy paws on us...I LOVE it!  Winter means warm soups, stews and curries - and there is no better diet in the world to be on than the Dukan diet to take full advantage of winter food!

This evening I decided to make a large pot of Thai red curry,  I must say, the green curry (a few posts ago) is still my favourite, but my husband FREAKED out about this one, he says it's the best curry he has ever eaten!  That is quite a big complement for a fat free Dukanised curry!  I googled it and found this one on the Daily Mail UK, it's Jamie Oliver's base recipe, but I Dukanised it.

Thai Red Curry

  • 2 stalks of lemon grass
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1-2 red chillies
  • 4 kafir lime leaves
  • big hand full of fresh coriander leaves
  • 2 roasted, skinned red peppers ( I used the tinned variety, in brine, NOT OIL)
  • 1 teaspoon of tomato puree
  • 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
  • 2 cm of peeled fresh ginger
  • 2 packets of Mange Tout
Combine everything in a food processor and blend until you have a fine paste.  Cut about 700g of skinless chicken breast into bite size pieces and marinade in the curry paste for a few hours.  Tip it into a heated wok and simmer till the chicken is cooked, add the Mange Tout and cover for about 3 minutes until the Mange Tout are just cooked and still crispy.

Once again, like with the green curry, we aren't allowed to have coconut milk, so fat free yogurt and coconut extract is used.  Once your curry is cooked, remove from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes before stirring in 500ml of plain fat free yogurt and a few drops of coconut essence.

This curry blew my husband's mind, but I still favour the green one.   But I must say, I love this diet more and more every day - the possibilities are endless!

Lots of love and God bless
Janie B

7 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious Janie I think I need to re-read the book though I thought I could have lite coconut milk...I made chicken curry the other day :)
    *anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna - I'm pretty sure about the coconut milk, I can't remember reading it in the book though, I googled it and found the answer from a Dukan diet website. It makes sense though, it's very high in fat and carbs.
      On the curry note, I'm totally addicted, one of these days I'll post my best chicken curry recipe - a Cape Malay one - I just haven't had the heart to dukanise it yet, it seems like sacrilege!

      Delete
  2. Through the entire weight loss journey I had to go shopping at Value Village to get my clothes because who pays full price for a pair of jeans they wont fit in in a couple months am I right?

    That sounds like a great plan, have those jeans pictured in your mind girl and you will get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally right! I have an enormous stock of thin clothes, but I don't fit into them yet and I can't seem to figure out what I last wore when I weighed what I weigh now - there doesn't seem to be anything in my closet!

      Anyway, I'll keep casing those jeans!

      Did you get yourself something as a reward?
      xx

      Delete
  3. Hey Janie, Woolies has basic re jeans for about R150 a pair. I think Edgars has Kelso jeans for about the same price. I've often thought that dieters should get together and pool their 'fat' clothes. That way you'd be able to borrow clothes while you're losing and save all your money for the skinny clothes!! I packed away all my 'fat' clothes this weekend... put them in the roof... but also don't quite fit into my thin clothes yet. And with this sudden weather change in CT, I'm also scrounging around for clothes.
    Good luck, and thanks for the recipes! They're great!
    God Bless
    Lynette

    ReplyDelete