What you'll find here

This blog shares my life with you. Not the nappy changes or holidays or silly pictures of my cat part, but the diet and weightloss journey part. You will no longer find any specific diet on here, but rather the JANIE diet (as a very wise blogger suggested)
It's about what works for me and I really do hope you find lots of inspiration here and lots of super yummy food. If you still want the Dukan versions of stuff, please comment at the end of a given post and I'll be MORE than happy to give you my Dukan take on any of my recipes.

Monday 4 February 2013

The real Slim Shady

Hi Guys

Guess who's back, back again...
The last time I was here was April of last year and I told you I had some exciting news.  Well, I had a little boy on November 30th, I was about 10 weeks pregnant when I wrote that post and as for the cheese festival - I went, and spent the entire day with my head in the toilet!

So I guess now I can tell you all about the Dukan diet and pregnancy and how that ship didn't even get to leave the harbour...  During my first 16 weeks I couldn't stomach the sight of meat, I'd feel nauseous whenever my tummy was even a little empty and the only food that didn't make me vomit was salt and vinegar Lay's and white bread with cheese.  After the first 10 kilo's piled on, I decided to go see a dietitian and I left her office in good spirits, and went shopping for my new eating plan - yeah, that lasted exactly 2 days and after gaining another 20 kilo's over the following months, I decided to spare the poor woman the frustration and hoped that by not seeing me anymore, she'd decide not to drive her car off a bridge one morning.

By the day of my Cesarean section (he was breech) I weighed 133kg - yup, my gynae got to properly load the bill for operating a morbidly obese patient.  At 5pm on Friday, November 30th 2013, Adriaan Hendrik Botha was born, a tiny little boy, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my entire life.  My heart felt like it was about to explode (evidently, so did my ass), and I was so proud.  3 Days later we went home and in the subsequent week 16kg just dropped off, I was ecstatic, but then it stopped.  Just like that.  It was over.

So began my battle with weight and food again.  My boy is now two months old and I started to go to the gym 2 weeks ago, but lacked the self motivation to get myself really good and tired and when Friday struck, I went into full on carbicide mode.

So - here's what's going to go down.  There are two things that generally motivate me - spending money on something and accountability to others.

For the first part I hired a personal trainer, a real pit bull, that will unscrupulously whip my ass into shape.  For the second part - I'm back here, aren't I?  This blog makes me accountable to you.  As always, there will be a Dukan friendly recipe of my own with every blog plus, I've had to start a new ticker, since the last time I posted, I weighed 95 kg, and this morning I weighed 120kg...

So, recipe...mmm, have to really rack my brain here, since I haven't cooked anything Dukan in months.  Let me see..

Well, I do remember an awesome quiche from way back when you might like.

Ham and Artichoke quiche

  • one onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 250 ml skim milk
  • 3 extra large eggs
  • 300 g lean smoked ham (0r chicken or turkey or what ever lean meat floats your boat)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 can of artichoke hearts, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
Whisk together the eggs and milk.  Saute the onion, tomato and green pepper in a pan sprayed with non stick spray until soft. Now mix everything together and bake at 180 degrees Celsius in a 20x20 cm ovenproof dish for about 40 minutes.

Sometimes I add some fat free feta, just for the hell of it - real good, mmm.

All right, so there's my first post after a looong absence, I hope you'll find inspiration here and as always -

God bless,
Janie B

16 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! Glad to see you back xoxo Here to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I need all the cheering on I can get! I just said to my trainer yesterday - I definitely won't fall pregnant while fat again!! What a disaster!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back Janie. And welcome to Adriaan! He and I share a birthday :)
    Good luck for today Janie. I've found that it is much harder the 2nd time around... or should that be the 15th time around... Thanks so much for the recipe, it helps to keep things interesting.
    God Bless you too!
    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynette, thanks so much, I'm going to try really hard with the recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welkom en baie geluk.
    Good to have you back and sounds like you are motivated to get that ticker moving. I have joined a bootcamp class on a wine farm, mmmm the smell of wine fermenting while you are running your ass off............definite motivation for me. keep the posts coming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did bootcamp 2 years ago, but the time of day is just too difficult. Will also have to give up trainer when I go back to work, but have decided to drop 20 in 2 months, I know it's a stretch, but I have help!

      Delete
  5. Hey Janie, great to get an update from you!!!! How amazing, a little boy...... Many Many Congratulations!!!!! :) You have made me laugh so much with your tales of the ''poor'' dietitian. I weighed 132.5kg when I had my little girl, no fun hey. But kudos to you for getting to the gym and getting a personal trainer so soon, it shows great determination to get to where you want to be. I'll be following your journey as always, we'll cheer that ticker down! Sonia xoxo My blog is now on wordpress - http://soniasdukandiet.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia!! You did it!!!! You are such an inspiration!! I've always thought of you as very similar to me, your goals are pretty much the same as mine: love the new blog!!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, Janie! Have you gotten any sleep since Adriaan was born? :)

    Sounds like you have a great plan for staying motivated & on track -- looking forward to celebrating your progress with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vici, thanks man! He's just started to fall into a very reasonable sleeping pattern, but last night bombed out again. So it has it's ups and downs, yet, somehow, when the sun rises all is well with the world again :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yumyumyum!!! and although you feel everytime you are going to die!!! keep repeating i am getting stronger, i am getting strong! dis good!! dis erg! maar so die moeite werd! (dis nou die oefening, ne?? hehe) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome bakc Janie. This certainly will work out. My boy is already 6 and finally i got almost the 45 kg's off. from which the last 20 on the Dukan diet in only 6 months. Good luck ! I keep on reading here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back and Congratulations!!!that's wonderful news - good luck with your atkins plan! :)

    ReplyDelete