What you'll find here

This blog shares my life with you. Not the nappy changes or holidays or silly pictures of my cat part, but the diet and weightloss journey part. You will no longer find any specific diet on here, but rather the JANIE diet (as a very wise blogger suggested)
It's about what works for me and I really do hope you find lots of inspiration here and lots of super yummy food. If you still want the Dukan versions of stuff, please comment at the end of a given post and I'll be MORE than happy to give you my Dukan take on any of my recipes.

Saturday 16 March 2013

When the moon hits the sky like big pizza pie...

Hi guys

I was so excited to write my next post about the most delicious aubergine I'd ever eaten...Then I had 10 minutes to kill while waiting for my trainer and was googling food (as always) and came across the most bizarre thing I have ever heard of - cauliflower pizza.

Now I for one stand firmly against food substitutes, especially one this bizarre.  I mean pizza is pizza, don't screw with the man.
But strangely enough, I found so many recipes, some of them from reputable sources and one of them from the diet and healthy living anti-Christ, Paula Deen.  Logically, it couldn't be that bad then.

So here's what you do:

You take one medium head of cauliflower and chuck it in the food processor until it's nice and fine.  Place the product in a glass bowl and cover with cling wrap and microwave on high for about 5 minutes until the grains are soft.
Wait for it to cool and add half a cup of finely grated mozzarella, 2 eggs and some salt and pepper.
Take this mush and place it on a baking sheet covered in foil sprayed with lots of non-stick spray, use your hands to shape it into whatever shape blows your hair back.  I made mine just less than a centimetre thick.  Bake this at 200 degrees Celsius for around 20 minutes until firmly set and the edges start to brown.

Okay, now comes the pizza part.

Spread on some tomato sauce (I just used plain passata from the jar), sprinkle on your grated mozzarella and place what ever toppings you want on top.  Since this was highly experimental, I just used some finely sliced smoked chicken.
Place the pizza (can't help but cringe a little when I call it that...) under your grill/broiler and let it sit for a few minutes until the cheese is nice and golden and bubbly.

I sliced mine with a pizza wheel and I was very surprised by how a slice stayed in one piece while being chomped like a regular pizza.

The verdict:  I liked it.   I think my husband is very sceptical about it, has difficulty wrapping his head around the idea, but the point is - it's NOT a pizza, but what ever the hell it is, I really really like it.

To make changes to your lifestyle requires a new way of thinking about food, especially if these changes are to be permanent, and as for making a pizza crust from cauliflower - I'm totally okay with that.

God bless

Janie B

2 comments: